• Scientists at CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute (CMERI), Durgapur, have developed two mobile indoor Disinfection Sprayer units, Battery Powered Disinfectant Sprayer (BPDS) and Pneumatically Operated Mobile Indoor Disinfection (POMID).
• Defence Minister Rajnath Singh approved the launch of the Defence Testing Infrastructure Scheme (DTIS) with an outlay of Rs.400 crore. The aim is to create a state of the art testing infrastructure for the defence sector and to boost domestic defence and aerospace manufacturing. DTID Scheme will run for a duration of 5 years.
• National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research-Guwahati (NIPER-G) has developed two products, 3D-printed hands-free object and 3D-printed antimicrobial face-shield, to help in the fight against the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• On 15 May, 38 new mandis were integrated with the e-NAM platform. With this move, the pan-India electronic agriculture trading portal, e-NAM has reached the milestone of 1,000 Mandis across 18 States and 3 Union Territories (UTS). The information was announced by the Agriculture Ministry.
• Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced the third Tranche of Rs.20 lakh Economic Package on 15 May in New Delhi. On 12 May, Prime Minister Modi announced an Economic relief Package of Rs.20 lakh crore with an aim of making it “Atma Nirbhar” or self-reliant.
• Sohrai Khovar painting and Telia Rumal were given the Geographical Indication (GI) tag by the Geographical Indications Registry headquartered in Chennai. Jharkhand’s Sohrai Khovar painting is a traditional and ritualistic mural art. It is practised by local tribal women during local harvest and marriage seasons.
• Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare stated that India’s foodgrain production has been estimated to touch a record of 295.67 million tonnes (MT) in the 2019-20 crop year. The Ministry released the third advance estimate.