• Scientists from the International Advanced Research Centre for Powder Metallurgy and New Materials (ARCI) and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute of Medical Sciences (SCTIMST), Thiruvananthapuram, under the Department of Science & Technology (DST) jointly developed new generation Iron-Manganese based alloys for biodegradable metal implants for use in humans.
• National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) developed an online Dashboard-National Migrant Information System (NMIS). The central online repository aims to capture the information regarding the movement of migrants and facilitate the smooth movement of stranded persons across States.
• Union Minister of Human Resource and Development Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ launched a set of seven titles on “Psycho-Social impact of pandemic and lockdown and how to Cope With” by NBT, India. The titles are placed under the corona studies series of NBT.
• The Government of India (GoI), West Bengal state government, and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a $145 million project. The main objective is to improve flood management and irrigation services in the Damodar Valley Command Area (DVCA) in West Bengal state.
• Chhattisgarh State government is to launch Rajiv Gandhi Kisan Nyay Yojana on 21 May on the commemoration of the death anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi. The scheme is aimed to stimulate the rural economy in the state, amid the slowdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Sikkim celebrated 45th State Day on 16 May 2020. It was celebrated in a brief function held at Chintan Bhawan premises, Gangtok. The function was graced by Governor of Sikkim Shri Ganga Prasad and Chief Minister Shri Prem Singh Tamang amid lockdown.
• The Government of India (GoI) and the World Bank signed a $750 million of $1 billion proposed for Accelerating India’s COVID-19 Social Protection Response Programme. The agreement aims to support India’s efforts at providing social assistance to the poor and vulnerable households, severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.