• India’s space agency Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has directed the startups to develop tools and machines for its maiden human space flight Gaganyaan-1 mission. ISRO focuses to potentially help them build products and solutions that they can exploit commercially.
• World Hypertension Day (WHD) is observed on 17 May every year. The day aims to promote public awareness of hypertension. It also encourages all the people across the world to prevent and control this silent killer. The theme of 2020 World Hypertension Day is “Measure Your Blood Pressure, Control It, Live Longer.”
• Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu finally swore in his new government on 17 May for the fifth time. The ceremony of the swearing-in of Israel’s new government, the Knesset, was held in accordance with coronavirus social distancing directives.
• Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) issued the guidelines to the National Directives for COVID-19 management. The guidelines will apply to public places and workplaces. The guidelines should be followed by all persons in public places and in transport.
• The Allahabad High Court on Friday allowed azan in three districts of Uttar Pradesh — Ghazipur, Hathras and Farrukhabad — where it had been stopped by the district administration citing the Home Ministry’s lockdown rules. Hathras District Magistrate Praveen Kumar Laxkar said he would comply with the High Court order.
• Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman unveiled the fifth and final tranche of financial stimulus and policy measures to help build a self-reliant India under the Atma Nirbhar Bharat Campaign. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had on Tuesday in his address to the nation announced a special economic package equivalent to 10 percent of India’s GDP, amounting to 20 lakh crore rupees.
• The Centre is taking another $1 billion loan from the World Bank to support its COVID-19 relief measures and financial assistance for the poorest and most vulnerable communities. The money will also be used for reforms in India’s social security net, making it more integrated, portable and focussed on the urban poor.