• Union Home Ministry has decided that all the Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF) canteens will now sell only indigenous products. This will be applicable to all CAPF canteens across the country from 1st June 2020. With this decision, 50 lakh family members of about 10 lakh CAPF personnel will use indigenous products.
• Article 355 of the Constitution of India assigns the Central Government the responsibility of protecting every part of India from external aggression and internal disturbances.
• Under items 1 to 2A of List I (Union List) of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution, the deployment of naval, military & air forces; and any other armed forces of Union are vested in the Central Government.
• To fulfil its constitutional responsibilities, the Central Government has raised seven Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs). These are
• Four Border Guarding Forces (BFGs): Assam Rifles (AR), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and Border Security Force (BSF).
• Three Non-Border Guarding CAPFs used for internal security: Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and National Security Guard (NSG).
Mains Paper 3: Defense and Security
Prelims level: Central Armed Police Forces