• The Forest Advisory Committee, the apex body of the Environment Ministry tasked with deciding whether forest land can be diverted for industrial projects, has once again deferred its decision on the Dibang project in Arunachal Pradesh.
• The project has been delayed for over six years because it required diverting 1,165 hectares of forest in a region of rich biodiversity.
• The Project is located on river Dibang, in Lower Dibang Valley District of Arunachal Pradesh.
• The project shall generate 2880MW (12x240MW) power to produce 11223MU of energy in a 90% dependable year. This is the largest ever Hydro Electric Project to be constructed in India.
• The project envisages the construction of a Concrete Gravity Dam.
• The dam is 278 metres high and will be the highest dam in India once completed.
Mains Paper 3: Economy
Prelims level: hydropower project
Mains level: Functions of a hydropower project