• The Ministry of External Affairs of India reminded China about India’s claims over Gilgit-Baltistan where China has teamed up with Pakistan to build the Diamer-Bhasha dam.
• Diamer-Bhasha Dam is a concreted-filled gravity dam, in the preliminary stages of construction, on the River Indus between Kohistan district in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Diamer district in Gilgit Baltistan. The dam site is situated near a place called “Bhasha”, hence the name.
• Its foundation stone was laid by the then Prime Minister of Pakistan on 1998.
• The assertion by India is important as it was made a day after Power China, one of the biggest Chinese power companies, received a contract to build the Diamer-Bhasha dam which once completed will allow Pakistan to use the waters of the Indus for irrigation.
• Islamabad claims that the dam will help reduce downstream flood by the Indus.
Mains Paper 2: International
Prelims level: Diamer-Bhasha dam