• The International Day of Families 2020 is being observed on 15th of May with the theme “Families in Development: Copenhagen & Beijing+25.”
• To promote awareness of issues relating to families and to increase knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting them.
• The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 1993.
• This year is the 25th anniversary of the Copenhagen Declaration and Beijing Platform for Action.
• At the World Summit for Social Development held at Copenhagen in 1995, Governments reached a new consensus on the need to put people at the centre of development and adopted the Copenhagen Declaration.
• The Beijing Declaration was a resolution adopted by the UN at the end of the 1995 Fourth World Conference on Women, held in Beijing. The resolution adopted to promulgate a set of principles concerning the equality of men and women.
Mains Paper 2:International
Prelims level: International Day of Families