• Union Minister for Tribal Affairs launched the “GOAL (Going Online As Leaders)” program of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs (MoTA) in partnership with Facebook.
• GOAL (Going Online As Leaders) is a Joint initiative of Facebook India with the Ministry of Tribal affairs to provide mentorship to tribal youth through digital mode.
• Under this, 5,000 young tribal entrepreneurs, professionals, artisans and artists (to be called as ‘Mentees’) will be trained by experts (to be called as ‘Mentors’) from different disciplines on digital skills under digital entrepreneurship program.
• It will develop Tribal Entrepreneurship and connect Tribal Youth to Domestic and International Markets through Digital Platforms.
• Aspiring candidates are invited to apply at the online portal “goal.tribal.gov.in.” The application will be open from May 4, 2020 till midnight of July 3, 2020. Leaders from the industry and academia are invited to register as mentors on “goal.tribal.gov.in”
• The Facebook had on its own run the project on a pilot basis from February 2019 to October 2019 in 5 states with 100 mentees and 25 mentors; which received an enthusiastic response. Based on its success, Facebook approached MoTA for a joint initiative.
Mains Paper 2: National
Prelims level: GOAL programme